These carrots are so delicious. They make a great side dish with lunch or dinner
or even just grilled up for a snack.
grilling the carrots
When I had a sudden craving for grilled vegetables it was below freezing outside and there was a breeze blowing. Not exactly ideal grilling conditions. But that didn’t stop me. It was still a nice sunny day so I fired up the grill anyway. It took longer than usual to warm up and it didn’t get quite as hot as it does in the summer, but it worked!
I had to cook them with the heat all the way up to high and it took about five minutes on each side. If I were doing this at a warmer time of year I would have turned the heat down to medium before cooking the carrots. The instructions in the recipe are for a more normal grilling day : )
Preparing the oil
I wanted to get the garlic and rosemary flavor without having chunks of it on my carrots. So I flavored the oil with the garlic and rosemary first. It’s simple to do.
Add the oil, garlic and rosemary to a small pot and warm it over low or med-low heat.
You don’t want it to boil, just get hot. When it’s hot, remove from heat and let it sit for at least 15 minutes. The longer the better. Mine ended up sitting for about and hour.
Then strain the oil and it’s ready to use.
You can just chop up the garlic and rosemary and just add it to the oil. The flavor will be stronger.
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 to 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Put the oil, rosemary and garlic in a small pot and warm over low heat. You don't want it to boil, just get hot and then remove it from the heat. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes. The longer it sits the better the flavor will be.
- Strain the oil and add the salt and pepper. Pour it into a rectangular baking dish or large plate. Something large enough to lay your carrots out in.
- Warm up your grill. Since everyones grill is different it's hard to give instructions on how to preheat it. Just make sure it's good and hot and then lower the temperature to about a medium heat when you start cooking. Or if you're using charcoal push the charcoal to one side so it's not directly under the carrots.
- Slice the carrots in half lengthwise and add them to the dish with the oil in it. Roll them around to coat them with the oil.
- Grill the carrots for 2 to 5 minutes on each side. How long it takes depends on the size of your carrots and the heat of your grill.
- Remove from heat and enjoy!
- I also grilled some cucumbers when I tried this. They were also delicious so go ahead and try this on other vegetables too.